Everyone wants to know who they "are" and they want to know the purpose for their life. Unfortunately our modern society has many people driven by their careers and money instead of pursuing a purpose driven life. Your purpose in life is usually something that comes naturally, something you enjoy and something that many times you would do for free.
Purpose is not to be confused with a hobby or your favorite past time because your God ordained purpose will not only bring you fulfillment but will also help advance the Kingdom of God. Our true purpose will not only be beneficial to self but will also be a blessing and a help to many others. If the very thing you feel is your purpose does not advance God's Kingdom and help others it is self-ambition and the desire for personal gain.
We were all created to bring glory to God in one way or another. A tractor, bike boat, and a car are all modes of transportation but they serve different purposes. When comparing them you can see their purpose based on their limitations and their advantages. A car does not belong in the water it was not created for that it belongs on the road. And you can not use a boat to plow a field but you would instead use a tractor. Just like these 4 modes of transportation all serve different yet specific purposes the same is true when it comes to God's people. If God can create each and everyone of us with unique DNA and fingerprints certainly he did not fall short or miss the mark in giving us all a unique purpose.
Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
Ephesians 1:11 - In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
Isaiah 43:7 - [Even] every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.
Ephesians 2:10 - For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
There are a number of way to recognize you are not fulfilling your purpose but I only included 6 in this particular blog post.
1. Constant Feeling of Dissatisfaction With Life A purposeless life will leave you constantly feeling empty, down and unfulfilled. The earth is filled with people who are miserable on their jobs and in life because they know that their life serves a greater purpose but they just are not sure what that great purpose is....
III John 1:2 - Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
2. Always mimicking and copying others in hopes to obtain the same/similar result Social media has made it very easy for people to keep up with people of interest especially those we deem successful. One of the down falls to this is that many people try to be a carbon copy of someone else in order to attempt the same level of success of the person they are copying. This many times leaves people broke, disappointed, and angry because they did not achieve their quest to do and achieve the same as someone else. Too many people have wasted their time trying to fulfill someone else's purpose instead of their own.
Psalm 139:14 - I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
3. Lacking Direction in life Not knowing your purpose in life leaves you with a lot of unanswered questions. Many times unanswered questions allows people to become a victim of life taking whatever comes their way. Out of desperation for answers to the questions of life many people seek out psychics, mediums, palm readers and the like when they should be seeking their Heavenly Father. If my car breaks down I take it back to the place it came from and since we all came from God as we are His creation that is who we should seek when we need answers concerning our lives.
Proverbs 16:9 - A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.
4. Lack of plans, goals When you know your purpose you understand that your goals, plans and objectives will focus on fulfilling your purpose in the earth. When you know why you were created and what you are supposed to be doing you will not waste your time with an abundance of things that have nothing to do with your purpose. Being busy and walking in purpose are totally different concepts. In fact you can be heading nowhere fast while being extremely busy but never fulfilling your purpose. Purpose will get you to a fruitful place and guide you towards your destiny.
Proverbs 29:18 - Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
5. No Vision Purpose brings vision to your life. People without purpose will lack vision and many times they are miserable and have a tendency to get angry and envious of those who have vision and that know their purpose.
Habakkuk 2:2 - And the LORD answered
me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.
6. Being a Busy Body Individuals who are not fulfilling their purpose and that have no vision tend to spend a lot of their time meddling in other men's affairs. No vision, no goals and or purpose centered objectives usually leaves people with excess time on their hands. Too much time with no purpose for their time can be a pitfall for people to gravitate towards negativity. Excess of drama, gossiping, backbiting, envy, jealousy and the like show a lack of identified purpose in a person's life. Ultimately a person that lacks purpose also lacks intimacy with our Heavenly Father. Those that have a relationship with God will discover their God ordained purpose.
I Timothy 5:13 - And withal they learn [to be] idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.
2 Thessalonians 3:11 - For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.
1 Thessalonians 4:11 - And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
1 Peter 4:15 - But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or [as] a thief, or [as] an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.
Ultimately a person that lacks purpose also lacks intimacy with our Heavenly Father. Those that have a relationship with God will discover their God ordained purpose.
D'Andrea Bolden is the founder of D'Andrea Bolden Ministries Global (DBM Global) which has a mandate and mission to reach the emerging leaders of today by ministering to the total man, and by equipping and training through strong biblical teaching and demonstration. The vision of (DBM Global) is to edify the body and to reach lost souls with the gospel of Jesus Christ and the expression of His love.